Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for pain due to gum infection

I have an abscess and the infection seems to be in my gums by the bad tooth but my cheek is also swollen and sensitive to the touch I am on antibiotics keflex and I am in so much pain what can I do for the pain
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Root canal treatment and drainage of abscess req. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to Healthcaremagic forum, According to your clinical symptoms i suppose that you have developed an abscess in the tooth, which has spread to the periapical tissues leading to pain and swelling. I would suggest you to consult a Dentist and take an x-ray of the region, a root canal treatment is required, as soon as the pus is drained and the canal is disinfected, devitalised and sealed to the apex you will not face any pain and infection. As you have mentioned you are taking tab keflex it is a good antibiotic but amoxicillin & clavulanic acid combination like amoxiclav TDS X 5days will be most effective in your case, along with this an analgesic like aceclofenac serratiopeptidase combination BD X 5days will surely subside your pain and swelling. Also take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses at home to give a soothing effect and prevent superinfection. Wishing you a healthy recovery! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.