Suggest treatment for pain due to compressed discs

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I have the following impression: IMPRESSION: • Diffuse annular bulge with left posterolateral disco-osteophytic protrusion at C3-4 level causing thecal sac indentation and left neural foraminal narrowing. No compression of exiting nerve roots at this level. • Diffuse annular bulge with bilateral disco-osteophytic protrusion at C5-6 level indenting left C6 nerve root in neural foramina and spinal cord with bilateral neural foraminal narrowing (Left > right). • Diffuse annular bulge with left posterolateral disc protrusion at C6-7 level indenting left C7 nerve root, causing thecal sac indentation and left neural foraminal narrowing. Whetehr it needs surgery or phsiotherapy/medicines I have shooting pains like: nerve tingling, needle prressing sensations
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment includes- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The herniated discs compresses spinal nerves or spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve. This has happened at level of C5-C7 in your case. Treatment includes 1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief. 2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful. 3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms. 4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist. 5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms. 6. You can avoid using a pillow/ watching TV or working on computer. Avoid prolonged sitting / leaning forward/ 2 wheeler driving for long distances. A course of Muscle relaxants, interferential therapy (IFT) and/or Intermittent Cervical Traction (ICT) for a week followed by exercises will help you. If you don’t get better with these treatment , then you might need surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve your symptoms. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for pain due to compressed discs 11 minutes later
Dear Dr If the compression is not removed (since it is touching nerves) IS there any risk of paralysis (if nerves are getting damaged fully) as I am having symptoms like 1) Sudden pinching of nerves all over body sometimes leg, some time shoulder, stomach, ear all over... 2) I am feeling the blood flow over my head 3) feeling the nerves
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer: It can cause weakness of muscles. Detailed Answer: Hi, If the compression over nerve roots not removed or it increases, it can cause weakness of muscles supplied by that nerve root. If your symptoms persist, I suggest you to consult a spine surgeon for definitive management. Take care. Warm regards.