Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am fifty years old and diagnosed with Osteo arthritis. I have cartlage , stage 2 osteo , but my problem is my left leg is little bend. I was overweight 100 kg lost aroung 15 kg weight , primarily because of running . I use to run 6o km a week. Now I am taking Glucosemine for the last 45 days, and treated by Physio. there is a substantial improvement in my left knee in the send pain has gone and deformity has reduced. What precaution should i take , is mild deformity can be corrected. My mech axis is deviated on both sides 2.5 on right and 3 cm on left.this was 45 days before, ow there is a visible improvement in the left leg pl advise
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Arthritis

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. For osteoarthritis of your knee. You need to continue cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate [glucosamine], that you need to take for couple of months. I will advise to do X ray knee weight bearing and if required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises Mild deformity can not be corrected with just medication,but further progression of deformity can be corrected. Exercises will help to strengthen muscle and joint. In lying flat supine on back – move your ankle up and down[plantar flexion dorsiflexion],keeping small towel below knee-press your patella[knee cap ] on towel and hold for 15 sec,lift your leg straight alternately [10-15 times]. Lying on your tummy- flex knee alternately, make knee rotation in flexion. Sitting on chair- extend your legs alternately [hold in extension for 15 sec] Standing half squat taking support of wall to back.. VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. Newer modalities for cartilage injury include autologous chondrocyte implantation[ ACI] which helps in treatment of cartilage destruction. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee 11 minutes later
Thanks , quite helpful. I have done a weight bearing X ray. It had shown onset of Osteo and mechanical axis deviation. Xray was done on 6-12-13.PAst 45 days I Am on Glucosmine choradin plus Omega 3. Along with that I am taking Physio. results are as under: 1.Pain is relived and knee stiffnes is almost gone. 2.I have stopped running 8 km instaed walk around 6 km 3.Left knee which was visibily bent little has shown quite improvement for naked eye. My question is what precaution I shuold take for future I am 172 cm tall and 86 kg weight. I am doing knee streghting exercise

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Weight reduction is very important to prevent prog Detailed Answer: I have studied your case. Precaution to be taken Activity modifications-avoid squatting, avoid cross leg sitting on floor, and reduce stair climbing. Weight reduction is very important to prevent progression. Do daily exercises and stretches. Diet rich in calcium and vitaminD will help to reduce progression. Use knee brace for support to prevent further deformity. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer. Wishing you good health. Take care