Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for occasional urinary incontinence

May 2013
I am using pads for what is 'occasional incontinence'. Trouble is that I don't know when it will happen so am in continual anxiety about the possible embarrassment. Is there surgery or can one detect 'when'? I am 87 and have been told I'm "lucky" it hasn't happened earlier. So comforting. I do the pelvic floor exercises daily. What else? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cause should be treated Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. To treat the condition determining the type of incontinence is necessary. Incontinence can occur in two forms like stress incontinence and urge incontinence. Urge incontinence can occur due to causes like urinary tract infection etc. Stress incontinence can occur due to improper functioning of urethral sphincter, weakened pelvic floor muscles etc. So, once consult gynecologist or urologist and get examined and go for urine microscopy, culture and sensitivity. With this workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified. In case of infection, antibiotic treatment can relieve the incontinence. In case of stress incontinence, depending on the cause and severity of the problem treatment can be planned. Local or systemic hormonal therapy can help sometimes. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.