Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for obstructive voiding due to enlarged prostate

Jul 2016

I have a enlarged prostate I am on Flomax. 2 pills per day. a doctor says my bladder is not emptying out all the way each time. Flomax helps a little but urine stream still not very good. The doctor mentioned that I might need a scope, and depending on the findings. maybe minor surgery. If this scope is through the end of the penis, this seems like very painfull procedure. What kind of surgery is the doctor talking about thanks
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is called asTURP and not painful at all. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have obstructive voiding symptoms due to enlarged prostate and have been taking Flomax but do not have satisfactory results. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) have you done your Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen and what is the size of Prostate.? 2) What is the volume of post void reside of urine ? 3) Have you done Uroflowmetry and what is your maximum urine flow per second.? Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get above investigations done to decide regarding need for endoscopic surgery what is called as Trans Urethral Resection of prostate(TURP) . This is an endoscopic surgery where enlarged prostate is resected by electric current by a instrument termed as Resectoscope which is passed through penis (Urethra.) under spinal anaesthesia.There s nothing to be worried about as the procedure is painless and one has to stay in hospital just for 2-3 days. This is gold standard method of resecting the enlarged prostate and practised world wide and gives encouraging results and helps to improve quality of life. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.