Suggest treatment for non-healing wound

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My brother since this past July has a wound in his foot that drains sero-sanguineous at times and sanguineous at other times. I think he stepped on a nail as the skin has a small hole like puncture wound (plantar left foot upper portion of foot by pad. The MD has debrided the wound 6 to 7 times- The wound never gets better and doesn't heel. No signs of infection so MD is not concerned. The wound forms a scab like area over the hole, but it can't be a scab since it drains. Debridement gives some relief of pain (short living). MD referred brother to specialist, x-ray taken and was negative. MD thought a fractured bone might be causing the wound. The specialist is also not concerned. There shouldn't be a hole like draining wound in his foot that never heals- It's not something a person has to live with for the remainder of his life. MD aren't concerned because the drainage isn't infected- But that is only a matter of time. I'm in the health field and know this isn't normal wound healing. I need to provide wound care myself. Are there any other options that will give results in healing this puncture wound. My brother has no insurance and he is a farmer- Meaning when planting starts his chance of infection increases along with all other health problems associated once area becomes infected. We have soaked the foot with Dreft and applied wound coverage since injury. We air the area sometimes (maybe 20 minutes at most). I don't know what to do. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Vacuum-assisted wound closure would be helpful. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Without clinical evaluation it is difficult to comment exactly. It seems to be non-healing wound.The use of vacuum-assisted wound closure has been found to reduce the wound healing time. You can discuss this with his treating doctor. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care