Suggest treatment for neck stiffness and numbness in arms when suffering from bulging disc?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was told I have a bulging disc in my neck my neck is very stiff and it feels like someone hand around my throat and my arms feel numb please help
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment goes in following lines- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs. With age, degenerative changes occur which leads to disc prolapse and spinal cord/nerve root compression. These degenerative changes are not completely reversible but the further progression of these changes can be retarded with medical treatment and regular physiotherapy exercises. Usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics). Neurotropic vitamins like METHYLCOBALAMINE (activated Vit B12) or PREGABALIN will help in alleviating the neuropathic pain and numbness. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for neck stiffness and numbness in arms when suffering from bulging disc? 8 minutes later
But would it be causing my symptoms pressure in my head and the tightness in my throat i also get a wet sensation down my neck would a bulging disc cause this?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bulging disc can cause these symptoms. Detailed Answer: Hi, Bulging disc can cause these symptoms.Tightness in your throat could be due to protective muscle spasm.