Suggest treatment for nasal congestion due to sinus

Next month I will have 1 year of not smoking but for the past 4 or 5 months I have been suffering from nasal congestion sinus problems, scabs and crust in my nose and its really hard to breath through my nose at times. It wakes me up at night. I am constantly blowing my nose and picking thick scabs out of my nose. Also my nose is extremely dry at times which is when the scabs form. Can you help me.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Avoid using decongestants. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. You have a dry nose which is causing the repeated built up of thick scabs in the nose creating breathing issues. Extremely hot or dry climates (as well as air conditioning) can result in your nose losing moisture and drying out. Dry nose is also a common side effect of certain medications, such as some antihistamines and decongestants. Nasal sprays that are used to relieve a nasal congestion can cause a dried out nose or rebound effect when they are overused. Upper respiratory infection (i.e., rhinitis) and hormonal changes also cause a drying out of mucous membranes in the nasal tissues. You need to turn down heat in your home and use a humidifier. Saline nose sprays can be found over the counter and can be used to keep the nasal membranes moistened. Petroleum jelly is very viscous and can easily be applied to the inside of your nose to help keep your nose dry. Avoid using the decongestants. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL