Suggest treatment for muscle strain with red spots

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I am a fit 48 year old female who exercises on a regular basis. I ran the other day and afterwards felt that the muscle just above mu right ankle, lower calf, was super tight, and resulted in a slight limp. I took two days off and ran again yesterday, and the symptoms reoccured. Plus, today I also have large warm red splotches on the areas where I am sore/tender. I've never had anything like this--should I be concerned and what is the treatment? I want to resume my regular schedule without worrying about my health. The warm red splotches, above ankle, are getting warmer....anything I should run to the ER for? Sorry, this is above and a bit behind my LEFT ankle--correction. Thank you, and awaiting your response.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be muscle strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks from your query. From description it seems to be muscle strain.Warm red spots might be due to rupture of microvasculature in the area of strain. For relief in pain and quick recovery- Do icing over affected area and warm red spots. Give adequate rest to your leg and avoid any movement that causes pain. Take antiinflammatory drug like ibuprofen(motrin) 1 tab as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation. Apply muscle relaxant gel over calf to reduce the tightness and spasm. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.