Suggest treatment for mouth sores and swollen neck lymph nodes due to infection

I am very worried about my young adult daughter. She was extremely ill upon return to U.S. after two weeks in India. Ultimately diagnosed with giardia. It had a good hold on her, requiring three visits to ER for fluids and an overnight hospitalization for further IV treatment and stabilization. She rebounded after first round of Flagyl but relapsed. On Flagyl for three weeks total followed by a 3-day mega-dose of another drug. She is finally "giardia-free"; off medications two weeks now. She continues on medical leave while she recovers and has improved modestly. However, her appetite is very slow to return; she is down to 102-pounds (from base weight of 118). She is lethargic; sleeps 18 hours a day. My beautiful, vibrant daughter now looks like a refugee. She is pale and fragile. She now has kanker soars in her mouth and swollen lymph nodes in neck. She has also begun expressing fear that something is wrong. Her return appointment with the specialist is in 10 days. I am going to get her to family doctor for advice since we can't get into specialist for another 10 days. But I can't help but feel the doctors here, though generally responsive and competent, may not have enough experience with this type of extended illness. Where is best center for further evaluation/treatment? We live in mid-Michigan. Thank you for your considerate reply.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following suggestions.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read the medical history of your daughter and feel sorry for the health situation she is in. It is normal to have such problems when traveling outstation, especially in countries as India where prevalences of infectious diseases are high, including Giardiasis and Malaria. The general not feeling well and mouth sores and swollen neck lymph nodes are indicative for viral infection or possible GI thrush after antibiotic treatment. I'd suggest to get her checked by a physician (for infectious diseases) and to run further tests to exclude TB and malaria apart common viral infections. The following is a clinic in Mid-Michigan you can contact: The MidMichigan Health WWW.WWWW.WW Wish fast recovery to your daughter! Dr.Alba