Suggest treatment for migraine

For one week my husband has had sharp pain in his head. It hurts to even touch it. His ear, throat and eye hurt. He is experiencing some blurred vision. What might this be?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query In order to come to a better conclusion of your husband's problem I need little more history from you. Please get back to me with the following details 1. Which part of the head is paining? Is it single sided or on both sides? 2. When are saying his ear, throat and eye hurt is it particularly on one single side? 3. Has the pain been the same through out the week? or did it subside? 4. Did you approach a doctor? Any medications taken for this? 5. Have you noticed in weakness of the facial muscles? or any change in walking style? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for migraine 27 hours later
It is all on the right side of his head, affecting his right ear, eye teeth and the right side of his throat. He has had a throbbing headache for a week. Excedrin and Advil do not help. The pain does not subside. He saw a doctor who suspected shingles, but since there was no rash, ruled that out. It hurts to even lay his head onto a pillow or touch it. The onset of this was sudden and there was no injury.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Migraine Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply in detail From the history you have given me it looks like you husband is suffering from a severe migraine. Here is how you should approach it 1. Tab Diclofenac is the most potent drug for migraine. It will give him good symptomatic relief 2. Any headache which is this prolonged must undergo evaluation by a neurologist. A Ct brain should be done to rule out organic pathology. Physical examination to rule out hypertension must be done 3. If he still persists to have a headache in spite of diclofenac then he will have to be on prophylactic drugs such as sumatriptan, beta blockers or flunarazine I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish your husband a speedy recovery Regards