Suggest treatment for migraine

Nov 2013

HI , I have been diagnosed with migraine year back. It has been for 3 years now. Symptoms : severe pain in eye brows and and eyes heavy rock kept in center of head. light , sound aggrevates the pain. Action: i have got my eyes tested for pressure done brain scan , no issues while talking to freinds i realised it was migraine and since have been talking disprin to cure . Help required : to identify it is migraine for sure ? how to cure it eyes pain normal ?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thank you for posting your query. Migraine can be diagnosed on the basis of description of symptoms. There is no test to confirm the diagnosis. As you have done a brain scan, other causes of headache have been excluded. Based on your symptoms, it is suggestive of migraine. For treatment, you need to be started on preventive medications to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. Good medicines for this purpose include flunarizine, topiramate, beta blockers, and divalproex. For pain relief, you can take rizatriptan tablets. Eye pain is normal in migraine. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for migraine 1 hour later
Thank you dr. Pplease tell me how to take these and if any possible side effects. i have read migraine pills restrict the blood flow to brain to ease the pain. tabs you mentioned what exactly do they do. Dadi k XXXXXXX nushke suggests - snort mustard oil and lie down for some time. how do you think it will help
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: These medications are fairly safe, and do not have any significant side effects. If you were my patient, I would start you on TAB TOPIRAMATE 25 mg once daily after breakfast, and review after one month. This would prevent the future occurrence of headaches. Minor side effects include 1-2 kg weight loss and pins and needle sensations of feet. For pain relief, rizatriptan tablets 10 mg can be used. If used within limits (upto two tablets per day and upto four tablets per week), it is safe and does not lead to untoward side effects due to constriction of blood vessels. Dadi ke nuske should be left to rest.....there is no evidence for its efficacy or side effects. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)