Suggest treatment for migraine

Nov 2013

I am very worried about my 14-yr. old son who appears to have migraines. Usually an episode will come on in the morning a month or so apart. Recently it has happened every week and just recently two days in a row.. He tell me that he has an aura prior, seeing a single dot or wavy lines and when they disappear, he has very bad pain in his eyes. He does not report any head aches in or around the skull area. Recently, he has been vomiting also during the episode. We had him seen by an aye doctor who said that there was no pressure pushing against his eye sockets. We also recently had him not intake any processed sugar and rice for a day and the episode came right back the next day…in the morning also. After the episode, he will sleep for a few hours and wake up fine. It is starting to affect his lifestyle,missing school and sporting events. Please help…I don't know where to turn and I am very worried something serious is wrong with my son. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query about your son. Yes, I agree with you that his symptoms are suggestive of migraine with aura. Since, he has frequent episodes of headache, it is better to start him on preventive medications to reduce the frequency and severity of migraine attacks. Effective medications for him would include divalproex or propranolol tablets. For relief of headache, he can be given naprosyn or ibuprofen tablets. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for migraine 1 hour later
Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your quick reply. Is the vomitting normal? We are thinking about getting him evaluated in more detail, MRI, etc. for fear that he has something life threatening., As noted, my son has mentioned that his head does not ache….just his eyes. Is that still classified as a headache? Lastly, how can we find out what is causing these episodes so we can understand the underlaying problem. What is the probability of a tumor present?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. Vomiting can occur in children with migraine also. Yes, pain around eyes can still be classified as migraine. I would agree that MRI brain should be done to exclude any underlying causes, including tumor. The chance of brain tumor in your child is low, less than 5%. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)