Suggest treatment for metallic taste caused by reaction to antibiotic

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have high liver enzymes due to bad reaction to antibiotic. Very itchy and metallic taste I. Mouth. How long until these stop?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Once you stop those medications with in 48- 72 hrs Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX As many antibiotics are processed in liver so there can be raised liver enzymes due high dose of antibiotic. Once you stop those medications with in 48 to 72 hours there will be reduction in level of medication in body. I will advise to start antacids [proton pump inhibitors like] rabeprazole 20 mg twice a day. Symptoms can be reduced by eating easily digestible food, stop non veg, drink plenty of water. Watch for symptoms of acute liver failure which include nausea, vomiting, malaise, pain in the upper right area of your abdomen, yellowing of your skin and eyes, confusion and difficulty concentrating. Seek immediate medical attention if you notice these symptoms. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.