Suggest treatment for mechanical back pain
User rating for this question
Dear doctor, My mother is suffering from extreme pain in upper middle of the back.Because of this she is unable to lift her arms up ...even lifting a light purse on her arms is difficult for her..she says it feels like a bone pain..vertebra pain...she started experiencing this pain since October last year.Till now we have been applying balm to relieve her pain.Please suggest what is the issue with her and what can we do to help
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your mother might be suffering Mechanical backpain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems your mother might be suffering Mechanical back pain. It is a common medical problem.Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain. 1. Lie on hard bed 2. Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief. 3. Physiotherapy - Interferential therapy (IFT) to your back will help you relieve the pain 4. Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain. 5. In addition I also prescribe pain killer with muscle relaxants to my patients when in extreme pain. She can take this combination during severe painful situations. She can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily. Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. She can get these prescribed from her orthopedician. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
People also viewed
- Burning pain top left of back
- Mechanical back pain symptoms
- Itching and burning rash on back
- Is lortab used in the treatment of pain, back ?
- Burning rash lower back
- Burning itching pain in lower back
- Can my bearing more weight on one leg than the other be due to sacroiliitis?
- Mechanical back pain treatment
- I am suffering from backache, can i take relafen?
- Mechanical back pain causes
- Is flanax pain reliever used in the treatment of mps ?
- Is indocin used in the treatment of pain, back ?
- Burning pain in upper back shoulder right
- Treatment and cure for Mechanical back pain
- Suggest treatment for mechanical back pain