Suggest treatment for lower limb pain due to disc bulge

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi! I'm one of those "medical challenging" patients, so I don't know if there any real answers for me, but....I'll try to condense it as much as I can. For the past 20 years (about) I have been dealing with fibromyalgia, 2 TBI's,sleep disorders, including central sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and chronic fatigue, and chronic low back pain. On T.G., I got blasted with an unbearable pain that went from my right buttock and hip,shooting down my right leg,which is numb with sharp needle pricks in it. An MRI showed a bulging disc that was apparently pinching my sciatic nerve..And now the clincher!....Apparently I don't have any opioid receptors. I can take handfuls of any narcotic at extremely high doses and not have any reaction at all. If I were to have surgery, the doctor said it would only help my right leg symptoms, not the really sharp pain in my right buttock and hip. And then, there would be the problem of pain control for the few days after the surgery. I'm currently am on 900mg of neuron tin , 2 times a day, and I might as well be chewing gum. This just isn't much of a quality of life, plus I can't deal with this intense, non-stop pain much longer. Any suggestions (beside finding a tall bridge?!) Thanks for your input. Sincerely, patti XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for epidural injections in back. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. If your radiating pain in right lower limb due to disc bulge is not controlled even with narcotic drugs and if you are not the right candidate for surgery, you can go for epidural injections in back for pain control. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care