Suggest treatment for lower back pain

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor I am getting lower back pain because of masturbation. Can you please help me to get rid off from back pain ?
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not due to masturbation Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The back pain that you have is not likely to be due to masturbation. In 85% of cases, no cause is found for backache and they are labelled as psychological or idiopathic back pain. In psychological causes stress, anxiety, depression and somatoform disorder are commonly present with backache. But in 15% of cases back pain has physical illness related to nerves, muscle, bone and abdominal-pelvic organ, which need to be rule out first in every case before considering pain as psychological in origin. Low Back Pain Common Causes (considering your age): • Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration • Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia. • Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis • Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning • Renal stone The following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin or Brufen 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain. • Correct your posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. Do start with swimming. This will be good for most back pains. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL