Suggest treatment for lower back pain due to nerve impingement

I have lower back pain mri shows nerve impinchment narrowing of the nerve dr gave me a surgeon I don't want to have surgery what can I do for this pain?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hot and cold therapy, Pain killers, Physiotherapy. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You have to understand that nerve impingement is due to pressure on nerve by some bony spurs or spinal disc etc. Usually treatment options depend on the exact cause of the nerve impingement. As you are not willing for surgery, You can try these,if you have mild nerve impingement 1. Hot and cold application for 15 to 20 minutes, every 4 to 6 hours daily. It will be helpful in relieving pain and as well inflammation if there any. 2. Pain killers like Tylenol, Ibuprofen will be helpful for decreasing the pain. 3. Mild exercise with the help of physiotherapist. However, Sometimes back surgery is the best option when the nerve is being damaged by bone fragments or impinged upon by a herniated disc. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.