Suggest treatment for loss in sense of taste

I am writing on behalf of my mother. She is 63 year old. Patient of sugar, bp and thyroid. Recently she was having high sugsr and taken medicine Pioz. it got reafted and changed subsequently but done the damage. She has lost the taste sense specially for salty food. Salt doesn, t taste salty, much of sweet is creating bitter taste. Having big issue as here in india salt is integral part of ur daily food and now all this food gas become tasteless for her. Kindly suggest/guide any remedy if possible. Lot of thanks in advsnce. With warm regards , XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...I have not heard that piozone can cause loss of taste in a person Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. I do understand the problem being faced by your mother but the fact is that piozone doesn't cause loss of taste.It may temporarily cause metallic taste in the mouth but this should have gone completely after stopping the medication. In fact there are various causes for such a loss of taste and it requires a careful examination and investigation by an ENT doctor. The causes may include... Diabetes and hypothyroidism in itself can cause loss of taste. Deficiency of VIT B 3 and zinc Use of drugs like ACE inhibitors for blood pressure,antibiotics and anti histamines Natural aging of the person Local dental problem or poor oral hygeine Neurological problems like parkinson and alzheimer Upper respiratory tract and middle ear infections Use of tobacco or ill fitting denture. Treatment would require .. Consulting a ENT for diagnosing the problem Controlling your diabetes and hypothyroidism Carefully looking at the list of medications being used and removing the offending drug and using some substitute for it. Giving adequate Zinc and B complex vitamins Using aromatic herbs and spices to XXXXXXX up the flavour of food,without increasing the sugar and salt content. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks