Suggest treatment for loose stools and vomiting

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 18 month old son has thrown up the past couple of nights and goes right back to bed. We wake up to him sleeping in it. There's some food chunks but mainly yellowish liquid. Today he's had diarrhea and the past couple of days he has received the hiccups. His diarrhea is pure liquid and it looks like he's not peeing. He's had 4 bottles of milk/almond milk today to keep him hydrated. He drinks cows milk, almond milk, eats dairy, etc. His energy is normal, he's in a good mood, and his appetite seems normal. I'm not sure what I should be doing to get him better.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Decrease cows milk and try soy milk Detailed Answer: Hi Usually loose stools and vomiting takes 5 days to settle. It's usually viral unless there is blood in stools. You can continue the current medications and add zinc drops 0.5 ml once daily. You can give him cereal based foods like gruel, porridge. Curd/yoghurt is good for loose stools but restrict plain cows milk intake Give him plenty of ORS like pedialyte in sips every few minutes to keep him hydrated and make sure he passes atleast 6times urine. Don't worry it will settle soon. If he becomes very dull with low urine output you may need to admit him for iv fluids. But if he is active and playful , nothing to worry. I would start Ondansetron syrup 1.5mg before meals thrice a day if he continues to vomit. Try soy based milk formulas to help in decreasing loose stools. Regards Dr Arun