Suggest treatment for liver tumors

Hi - My nephew has tumors in his liver. He has gone and continues to go for Kimo, unfortunately the tumors are not going away in fact more keep coming. I would like to offer him part of my liver. The question is: His doctors in South Africa say the cancer first has to be contained, surely if the cancer is in his liver only by removing his liver and taking part of mine that should remove the cancer?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depends Detailed Answer: it all depends on the type of tumor and size / numbers of tumors in the liver. if it is metastatic from another organ, liver transplant is not possible. if it is a primary liver tumor, such as hepatocellular carcinoma then it is possible but again, the maximum quantity of tumors must be 3, and the maximum size 5cm if it is a single tumor, but if it is more than one, the maximum size should be 3cm. a few centers in the world have significant experience with living donor liver transplant, mainly in Japan and Europe
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for liver tumors 2 hours later
Thank you. My understanding is that there are x10 tumors (I am not certain of the size). My understanding is that they are all in his liver. Based upon what you are saying, am I to understand if there are more than x3 tumors a transplant is not possible? Thanks again XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Too many Detailed Answer: 10 tumors is way too many lesions for liver transplant with any type of tumor. 3 lesions is maximum, and again it depends on their size. the reason is that there are probably more malignant cells in the blood, microscopically that can't be seen on imaging. if somebody gets a liver transplant, and any bad cells are left behind inside the body, then it is just going to come back, but even faster, even fulminantly (because after a transplant you need immunosuppressive medications, which bring down your body defenses in order for the patient not to reject the new organ, but at the same time letting any cancer grow fast)