Suggest treatment for ligament and tendon injury

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
About 3 months ago, I fell and when I stood up, the toe next to the big toe was standing straight up, because I fell on it. I went to a doctor who x-rayed, etc. and said nothing was broken. However, that toe not lays on top of my big toe ... even if I force it down to the floor, it flips back up onto the big toe. I have an appointment with a podiatrist ... but I'm just curious what to expect. Oh, and the toe sometimes turns totally white when I am standing up. I can only wear shoes with a soft top or flip flops.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems to be ligament or tendon injury. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. It seems to be ligament or tendon injury 2nd toe on one side during injury. That is the reason that stronger tendon or ligament pull it on opposite side. Consult an orthopaedician or podiatrist for clinical examination. You may require an MRI to see ligament or tendon injury. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for ligament and tendon injury 6 hours later
What is usually done about this type of injury? How can this affect me for the rest of my life ... aside from not being able to wear normal shoes?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Repair is usually done. Detailed Answer: Hi, If ligament or tendon injury is found, depending upon the severity repair is usually done. If not treated properly,it can develop instability and stiffness of joint.