Suggest treatment for large painful lump on my right hip inspite of normal ultrasound and CT scan?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
After seeing 2 doctor's that have confirmed a mass above my right hip and after having an ultrasound and ct scan they are showing there is nothing there? The lump is long and painful.What can it be? that's not showing up?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query In order to help you in a better way I need more information from you 1. Is this mass soft and mobile or hard and fixed? 2. How big is this mass? 3. Does it pain? 4. When did you first notice it? Has it grown in size? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for large painful lump on my right hip inspite of normal ultrasound and CT scan? 2 days later
Hello, Thank you for responding. 1. Is this mass soft and mobile or hard and fixed? - It is fixed and hard 2. How big is this mass? - 10 cm 3. Does it pain? - only when I sleep on that side 4. When did you first notice it? Has it grown in size? - I noticed it a year ago and it grew bigger.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ?Fibroma Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for getting back in detail A mass which is fixed, hard and is about 10 cm long is definitely of concern especially because it has increased in size. Here is how you should approach this issue 1. CT is not a very good mode of investigation of soft tissue, it is accurate only for bone and intra cranial bleed, I suggest you to get a MRI done instead 2. Approach a general surgeon to get a biopsy of this mass as soon as possible to know what it could me. 3. Since the pain is not very severe, it can be managed without pain killers. However if it painful at times take acetaminophen 500 mg Please do not delay this matter, get an appointment as soon as possible with a general surgeon I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards

Thank you, Unfortunately here in the U.S. it is difficult to get a MRI or biopsy if the CT scan showed nothing. Thank you for your advice. I will bring it to my docotr. Take care as well.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for getting back I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital I wonder why they would order for a CT when there is an obvious mass, MRI would be a much better imaging option. I also wonder why they are letting go of a clinical sign which can be palpated and depend on the CT. Please discuss my suggestion with your doctor, hopefully it is strong enough to convince him Regards