Suggest treatment for lack of concentration

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I am 65 years old and a computer programmer. My work requires a lot of thought and concentration. My ability to concentrated has faded over the last few years. I am to the point where I can not think to do my work most days. Everything overwhelms me but I need to work. I have heard of things like ADD and ADHD but I have not had any issues like this before. I don't know where to start.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Psychologist and Medical Specialist Consultation. Detailed Answer: Hi. This is great to know you are working at this age of 65 years. Noted your history of diabetes and depression. First of all take a break of a few days to a week. You really need to think about the problem of inability to concentrate and think of working. ADD and ADHD may not have anything to do with your problem. It occurs to me that the Diabetes and Depression are the root cause. If this is of a long duration, it will have a direct effect on the problem you are facing. I would advise such a patient first to seek consultation with the Medical Specialist to see that the diabetes is under control and there are no other complications or sequel of Diabetes.. And see a Psychologist to discuss your problem. He/She would be in a position to guide you further investigations like MRI of the brain and counselling. You really have to decide whether you really want to work further or have a change for the time-being.