Suggest treatment for knee pain

Hi, I get pain in knees while walking up and down the stairs. It is happening from past 4-5 years. But from past few months it has increased. Please suggest remedy of it.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Early onset Osteoarthritis. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Do you have any X-ray done for the knees? Did you see a doctor about this? What was the preliminary diagnosis. Was it early onset Osteoarthritis? When the body takes stairs, the weight that knees carry is 3 to 5 times the body weight unlike regular walking which is 1.3 times the body weight. So obviously the muscles would not help the knee for so long time of 4 yrs. They tend to give it away and cry. The cry is nothing but the pain. Regular management is physiotherapy, exercises, some postural modifications and pain killers during acute episode. We also need to check for other nutritional deficiencies. If you have some specific questions please let me know I am happy to address them.