Suggest treatment for knee pain

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello , its been 2 years now that there is a pain in my right knee , have got x-ray done & got to know some cartlidge tissues got damaged and there is no solution to it .Please guide ! Also , have bought treadmill at home , so can i do running for one hour ? have heard that one shud now run on treadmill and shud not do treadmill for more than 20 min ..Is this true ? Also please advice medicne for my knee issue .Suggest medicne for bones --good calcium and vitamin d
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Instead of running, focus on low impact activities Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query Considering your age, your present complaints and x-ray findings, you might be suffering from arthritis of patella. In early stages it presents as painful initiation of movement of knee and later on subsides during routine work. This condition is called as Chondromalacia patellae. Generally physiotherapy for your quadriceps muscle with straight leg raising and knee mobilisation will improve your muscle strength and will decrease the progression of arthritis. Life style modifications like avoiding stairs, squatting and sitting cross legged will also help in reducing your symptoms. Reducing weight is of prime importance if you are overweight. If the pain is severe, you can take few doses of NSAID's or physiotherapic modalities like IFT to relieve your pain. Running and jumping will often accelerate cartilage loss from the joint. So instead of running, focus on low impact activities, such as swimming or cycling. This will also help you in reducing your weight. You can take glucosamine & chondroitin supplements. Daily intake of these supplements over a period of 3-4 months will help in reducing the arthritic pains and thereby decreases the necessity to take daily analgesic medications. You can take calcium and vit d3 supplements after prescription of your doctor. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for knee pain 16 hours later
you mean I should not run on treadmill as well . Also , I should avoid sitting cross legs . Glucosamine & chondroitin are medicnes?if yes , then for what ?Please prescribe good calcium medicne for me & vitamin D-3 as well . You mean to say I am at the first stage of arthritis ? only physiotherpy is the solution .
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 hours later
Brief Answer: It is better to avoid run on treadmill as well. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Yes, it is better to avoid run on treadmill as well, avoid sitting cross legged. Glucosamine and chondroitin are available in tablet, capsule, powder, or liquid form and are often taken in combination with each other or in combination with other dietary supplements. Treatment with these joint supplements is based on the theory that oral consumption of glucosamine and chondroitin may increase the rate of formation of new cartilage by providing more of the necessary building blocks. I generally prescribe tab shelcal 500mg daily for calcium and calcerol XXXXXXX with a glass of milk once in a week for vit D. You are in early stage of arthritis of patella(knee cap). Physiotherapy exercises are very beneficial in such cases.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for knee pain 1 hour later
What kind of phsio excersice should I go for ? What should I say to them ? Glucosmine nd chondroitn tablet are taken together ? Can I give this to my mom also , would it help since she is suffering from arthritis .
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer: quadriceps strengthening exercises. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You should ask to your physiotherapist for the quadriceps strengthening exercises. Glucosmine and chondroitin tablet can be taken together or alone. These are effective in early stages. In late stages there is no much role.