Suggest treatment for joint pain after a stroke

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Mom (84 years old, lives in China) had a serious stroke last XXXXXXX and now left left side paralized. Her most critical problem that prevents her from being willing to accept Rehabilitation is pain, on her joints. What can we do to reduce her pain and what are her chances to recover? Thank you very much.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Pain can be reduced with medicines. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern for your mother. The reasons for multiple joint pains commonly are: 1. Rheumatoid arthritis- 2. Gout 3. Vitamin B12 deficiency 4. Vitamin D deficiency 5. Calcium deficiency and osteoarthritis. Ideal person to consult for this is orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist. Please discuss this with your family and doctor and ask for a proper referral. Most of the cases respond satisfactorily to the treatment. After examination the doctor may advise some investigations like RA Test S.Uric Acid Vit D level B12 Level Blood counts blood sugar X ray as per need In mean time, this should help. 1. Ask her to have more of fruits, vegetables soups etc. 2. Maintain healthy routine, do regular physiotherapy. 3. Apply some analgesic ointment over the site of pain 4. Milk and milk products are good source of calcium I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL