Suggest treatment for itchy blisters on hands and scrotum?

Question
I am a 53 year old male. I have had on and off trouble with extremely itchy blisters on my hands and scrotum for about the past year. The blisters on my scotum break quit regularly and drain. The ones on my fingers dont get alot of blisters, but are very itchy.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can be due to various causes Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. You have mentioned that blisters on scrotum breaks and drain with itch. On hands those are few in numbers and itch a lot. This can be due to various causes like Candida infection, Contact dermatitis, scabies. These can spread to other body parts when touched with infected part, like from scrotum to hand and vice versa when touched to ease off itch. To help you out with your condition, I need some more information like : Are there any Bumps filled with fluid? Have you taken any medication in past for this condition? Does the Itch increases at night? After how many days or months these blisters come again? If you have picture of the lesion, kindly upload it. Regards Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for itchy blisters on hands and scrotum? 30 hours later
I have gotten some photos of my fingers with the blisters on them. My fingers are extremlely itchy, with the itching increasing at night. I was treated with predizone about 2 years ago for a similiar condition, which was diagnosed as foot and mouth. It cleared up at the time for about a year. I went to the doctor here about 6 months ago when the blisters reappeared on my fingers and scrotum. The topical ointment that my Dr. gave me has had no effect on it now. That oinmnet is tramcinolone acetonide cream.

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Scabies or dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow-up with pictures. After looking at that pictures of your lesion and your history of medication, it is suggestive of Scabies or may be dermatitis. Clinical examination is necessary to differentiate between the two. Scabies is caused by a mite and there is increase itch during night. Triamcinolone may not work out in these conditions. Sites you have mentioned are common for scabies. I advise you to take a single dose of Ivermectin along with Permethrin lotion for local application below neck after taking bath. For the itch antihistamine like Levocetrizine can be taken. If within a week lesion doesn't subside, you have to start Prednisone again as there may be the chances of underlying Dermatitis. And instead of Triamcinolone, a higher potency ointment containing Clobetasol Propionate should be started. You should consult a local dermatologist discussing above mentioned condition and prescription for medicines. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.