Suggest treatment for itchiness caused due to ticks

General Surgeon
Hello doctor. Today morning my dogs' ticks had bitten my hand & it's very itchy & red. What shall I do to calm the itchiness? I have attached the photo of the bites. It's a little swollen up as well. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. I assume that your dog has been rabies vaccinated. Please note that dogs saliva contains lots of bacteria which quite often cause tissues inflammation. Such inflammation can heal really hard. Especially if the teeth has reached muscles or tendons. According to the picture, it does not look bad. So it is a chance that you wont get it more serious. Please be aware of symptoms like swelling, spreading redness, fever, warm hand. If any of this symptoms will appear, you should visit a surgeon. Some incisions might be necessary and antibiotic for sure. To make itchiness less intense, you may try some anti inflammatory cream containing Ketoprofen. Try to keep your arm little bit higher so the swelling can go away. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.