Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I'm 47. I ate a shellfish dinner on Christmas Eve. About 45 minutes after that I came down with cramps and extreme gas. The following day with mild diahrear. Since then I have had extreme gas and change in bowel habits with urgency. I am not sick and feel fine otherwise but don't understand this overnight problem. I also notice when sometimes passing gas it is a little wet??? What's going on.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your condition is not related to dinner on Christmas Eve,it might be only coincidence. You are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome(IBS). You need few investigations like routine hemogram,LFT,Stool test(routine and culture),ultrasound of abdomen,upper GI endoscopy.Further investigations can be done if needed. Irritable bowel syndrome is a disease associated with large intestine and exact etiology is not known. There is no specific treatment of this disease. It can be controlled by altering diet pattern,psychological therapy and medicines. For gas you should take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg half hour before food for six weeks.You should avoid hot and spicy food. You should take plenty of fibres in your diet in the form of salad etc. If you have lactose intolerance you should restrict it. Laxative can be used. You should do regular exercise and if there is any stress factor,try to reduce it. You can also take tablet loperamide SOS. You should avoid cold drinks and high gas forming vegetables like cabbage and cauliflower. You may need psychological counselling if needed. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome 9 minutes later
Can ibs just come on overnight? I have never had any digestive issues ever.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Firstly Ultrasound of abdomen should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back It might be just coincidence that it started after Christmas Eve. First your condition need to exclude any pathology.Gall bladder calculus also causes lot of gas in some patients,so Ultrasound of abdomen should be done. If any pathology is not identified then your symptoms suggests irritable bowel syndrome. You should take tablet Pantoprazole as advised earlier.It will definitely relieve you from acidity. You can modify your diet as discussed earlier. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX