Suggest treatment for insomnia

Ayurveda Specialist
Question
Hello, I am facing problems in getting sound sleep. I have to leave early for office and hence I need to get up early at 6:30 AM everyday. To get up early, I need to sleep XXXXXXX by 11PM. I am in bed by 10:30 PM, but I cant sleep before 1 AM. So my daily sleep need is never complete and I am stressed the whole day and feel tired. Please help.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Ayurveda

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 11 hours later
Brief Answer: need expanded details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need additional information for better management of the disease. 1. do let me now that whether any prescribed drugs were given for the said ailment or otherwise?? 2. probably Stress is mental [hurry/worry] and do let me know that how stress is affecting your health and quality of life? i.e. any work stress, or are there any unrealistic expectations?? 3. do let me know about Nutritional status [diet], Hemoglobin, Thyroid Function Test, from your side to kindly let me know if any general Examination/ investigations were carried out to rule the same? 4. does stress occur only during your 'busy' life or day to day life?? 5. If not released the STRESS gets accumulated in the body which is reflected in mind and body: are you in the habit of the same?? 6. Avoid: excess physical –mental exertion, sun exposure, corrylium, smoking, errhine therapy, betel leaves, gruel, soup, day time sleeping, garlic, ginger, onion, spicy-heavy- junk food, mustard oil, pickles. 7.Take: mint, coriander, tomato, cumin, plenty of water, vitamins and mineral supplements, XXXXXXX banana,grapes,dates 8.Prescription drugs available are: smritisagar ras,trifla churan,brihat vata chintamani ras,ghritkumari, ashwagandha, brahmi,jatamansi, stresscom. 9.You can practice: bhujangasana,halasana, paschimottasana, sarvangasana, shalabhasana, shavasana and vakrasana and pranayamas like bhastrika and kapalbhati. 10.Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest. i.Take 1 spoon black pepper powder and 5 spoons jaggery in 4 cup water and boil till 2 cups remain, filter it and drink for 1 month. ii.Take 3 teaspoons of bitter gourd with a glass of water every morning for a month. iii.Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month. iv XXXXXXX almond, banana, broccoli, cantaloupe, melon, carrot, cashew nut, corn, cauliflower, grapes, guava, lemon, mango, orange, pineapple, soybean, spinach have anti oxidant and detoxifying properties so take them in plenty. Dr. Munish Sood Consultant & Physician Naimittika Clinic

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for insomnia 5 hours later
Hello, Thanks for the detailed reply. Please find below the details which you have asked for: 1. do let me now that whether any prescribed drugs were given for the said ailment or otherwise?? NO drugs or medication yet taken. 2. probably Stress is mental [hurry/worry] and do let me know that how stress is affecting your health and quality of life? i.e. any work stress, or are there any unrealistic expectations?? I am in IT and need to work on laptop for atleast 6-7 hrs everyday. Our work nature involves only mental stress and no/minimum physical stress. Since last 2 years, I am also facing some mental stress due to personal relations reasons at home. 3. do let me know about Nutritional status [diet], Hemoglobin, Thyroid Function Test, from your side to kindly let me know if any general Examination/ investigations were carried out to rule the same? Diet is normal. I dont take junk foods. No other tests performed recently. 4. does stress occur only during your 'busy' life or day to day life?? Stress in usually high on weekends when I am at home. 5. If not released the STRESS gets accumulated in the body which is reflected in mind and body: are you in the habit of the same?? 6. Avoid: excess physical –mental exertion, sun exposure, corrylium, smoking, errhine therapy, betel leaves, gruel, soup, day time sleeping, garlic, ginger, onion, spicy-heavy- junk food, mustard oil, pickles. No day time sleeping, smoking etc. 8.Prescription drugs available are: smritisagar ras,trifla churan,brihat vata chintamani ras,ghritkumari, ashwagandha, brahmi,jatamansi, stresscom. Can you let me know how these to be taken and when? 10.Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring mind at peace/rest. Should I take in the morning or in the evening or any time? Usually, in the morning I dont have time. Please respond. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Psychosomatic & Detoxifying treatment Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for reverting back 1. since these are prescription drugs thus your attending physician will be in best position to let you know about the dosage and indications since, choice of medicine differ from region to region and after assessment of you bodily constitution. 2. lemon juice can be taken 4 hourly [at your disposal] 3. Principle is to have well balanced diet with more of proteins and more Calories with exercise, take more of cereals,legumes,daal egg,and eat fresh fruits regularly with sweet pulp like (banana, mango, chickoos, grapes) 4. take banana, black grapes, orange, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, curd, take diet rich in vitamin C (Citrus fruits) and vitamin E (sunflower seeds, almonds,apricots, peanuts) which are rich in anti oxidants and thus helps in improvement of Thymus function (associated with Immunity.) 5. Eat mixture of amla powder ½ spoon with 4 spoons of honey. 6. have a good stress free sleep after meals. 7. Treatment is to be directed towards increasing your Digestive Power, only preventive aspect is discussed, please revert back if you have any of the above concerns for further line of management and treatment Dr. Munish Sood