Suggest treatment for insect toxic dermatitis.
User rating for this question
I have a dark black/ brown spot, pretty flat, about 1/2" diameter, surrounded by a red ring. It looks infected, but does not hurt at all. It is on the right side of my abdomen. We went walking in the woods last weekend. I noticed it on Tuesday, and it's bigger today (Thursday).
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may be having insect toxic dermatitis. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your history and saw photograph. There is an erythematous patch with central black necrotic area. It seems that you might be having insect toxic dermatitis. You are not having any symptom like pain or itching..nice. Do not worry. The lesion might go away after few days to weeks with little treatment. Locally apply antibiotic cream like mupirocin or sisomycine. Take antibiotic tab for 1 to 2 weeks. Short course of oral steroid like methyle prednesolone 4 mg thrice a day for 5 days then reduce it one tab every five days and then stop. Avoid soap bath. You may use dettol liq. for bath. I think, you may be improved in few days, still..you consult dermatologist. I hope you got my answer. If you any query,you may ask. Thanks. Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for insect toxic dermatitis. 37 minutes later
If it is not an insect bite, what else could it be? I was wearing pretty heavy clothing when we were walking, so I think it is unlikely that I was bitten. I only mentioned it to give you extra information. Are you sure it was an insect bite? Could it be anything else?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: The fixed drug eruption is another possibility. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back.. As you have doubt, the another possibility is fixed drug eruption. But, there must be history of culprit drug like tetra,doxy,brufen or some other. But, you have not given any history of such drug intake. So, I feel that it may be insect toxic dermatitis. Sometime, you might have such lesion without awareness of insect bite or rubbing the insect unknowingly. It occurs suddenly and increase gradually. I recommond to take treatment as suggested.Still, you consult dermatologist for firm diagnosis. I hope you might be satisfied with my answer. Thanks and wishing you early recovery. Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for insect toxic dermatitis. 19 minutes later
OK -thank you very much. I am also thinking that my dog has been sleeping with my husband and me lately. I wonder if he brought something in the house and I was bitten in my sleep.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 13 hours later
Brief Answer: possible Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, it is possible. Thank you for accepting my answer. I wish early recovery. Regards. Dr.Ilyas Patel MD