Suggest treatment for inflammation of penis skin

I was cleaning the foreskin of my penis a few days back with sandalwood soap after which I lubricated it with olive oil. However after my bath I felt itchy on the outer skin of my penis and during the course of the day the skin appeared to have scalded as if it was burnt. I applied Soframycin skin cream that was lying handy at home. However, this caused the area to dry up and eventually I discovered that cuts had appeared on my foreskin. After three days my foreskin no longer retracts and I seem to have developed what can at best be described as phimosis. I went to my GP who has prescribed me a gel of betamethasone dipropionate, but i am afraid to use it. Should I be terrified. A friend says I should circumcise. Am confused.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is some inflammation Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX The use of soap for cleaning and then using antibiotic supposedly led to the development of candida infection. This candida infection is responsible for the development of dry skin and cuts on penile skin. The partial healing of the cuts resulted in inflammation and fibrous tissue buildup that resulted in tight foreskin (phimosis). Now we can try to get this tight foreskin back to the previous state. You can try miconazole cream on the cuts and dry skin. Miconazole is an antifungal and it may be applied once a day after washing the area. It should help in resolving the tight skin. Since I have not seen the lesions, I cannot comment on the use of betamethasone. Betamethasone is a steroidal preparation and can be given to relieve inflammation but should not be given in infections. It may cause flaring of infections. Though it is routinely prescribed alongwith anti-fungals to relieve the redness and itching caused by fungal infections. Even in such conditions I would prescribe a milder steroidal preparation like hydrocortisone. Regarding circumcision, you can go for it if the skin does not become normal. Tight skin is not good and can result in paraphimosis. Circumcision is a minor surgery and has minimal side-effects. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for inflammation of penis skin 15 minutes later
Your reply implies that I avoid using betamethasone dipropionate at any cost and opt for miconazole cream. What about hydrocortisone? Should I use it if Miconazole fails? Also since many of the ointments are available as creams or gels, which of the two options would be preferable in my case?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: ok Detailed Answer: Hi again I would not use betamethasone as first step. It can be tried eventually if the redness does not go away with miconazole and hydrocortisone. So the first step would be to try miconazole cream for a few days. Miconazole's effect usually stays for 2 - 3 days but can be applied daily. If it does not work then hydrocortisone + miconazole would be the next step. If this also does not work then try betamethasone. In your case I would prefer cream over gel since you have also developed dry skin. Creams work better for dry skin. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee
Thank you Doctor! Would you like a feedback on my eventual experience and action on advice of my GP tempered by your perspective?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sure Detailed Answer: Hi again, You can always follow-up with me on your condition. Your feedback is very valuable and is welcome. Thanks for consulting me. Dr Vaishalee