Suggest treatment for inflamed pink scalp

I have had an inflamed diffuse pink scalp for probably more than five years. I stopped dying my hair and let it go gray two years ago, but it still is red/pink. There are no lesions or dandruff. I switched to a sulfate free shampoo. Then I went to a dermatologist who prescribed Fluocinonide, a week ago, but there has been no improvement. I can't seem to find any photos online that look like my scalp. Should I go to a dermatologist who specializes in psoriasis? I don't think the dermatologist knew what it was and so is treating it like dermatitis.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Patience for about two weeks, see dr if failure Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The duration of the scalp condition you describe is pretty long in my opinion. I am afraid dermatological conditions might be very similar in presentation, despite experience and even after use of many advanced diagnostic tools. Also, considering the fact that this condition has been going for quite some time, the treatment approach and expected results, in this case, should be particular. I humbly think one week is relatively too small in chronic dermatological conditions as such to judge treatment success or failure. My opinion would be exercise more patience for two to three weeks before seeing your treating physician to express your worries, in case of treatment failure. Some chronic skin fungal infections of the scalp could also present as such. A key aspect in dermatology however is the clinical review your doctor did. Patience and compliance to treatment protocols are key. However, do not fail to report to your doctor in case nothing changes within the next two to three weeks. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain