Suggest treatment for infections of the penis foreskin

What is a good treatment for infections/irritations of the penis foreskin area. My father, age 90 and uncircumcised has developed this. He takes Lasix nearly everyday as perscribed by his pulminologist to keep his lungs clear(he has asthma). I'm wondering if this excess urination caused by the lasix contributed to this. It's happened before and his urologist perscibed clotrimazole-betamthasone cream which we have applied to the area. His urologist also has him on Bactrim XXXXXXX daily to ward off urinary tract infections which were a problem for him last year. This Bactrim regimen seems to have worked as he hasn't had a urinary tract infection since he began it. Is Bactrim also good for infections of the foreskin?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment for penile foreskin infections... Detailed Answer: Hi, The infections of the penis foreskin could be related to: - urinary tract infection (UTI) - local infection I'd advise to : - keep his genitalia well cleaned especially after passing urine - apply clotrimazole-betamethaosone cream again - do urine analysis and urine culture to exclude UTI - he also needs to have a course of antibiotic, but first must do the analyses to determine the right antibiotic - do abdominal ultrasound of the abdomen to check for the prostate health At the end, I'd advise to talk to his urologist to get your father circumcised, as this is the permanent solution to infection of penile foreskin. As your father is 90 years old and has other problems, your urologist would decide on this practice. Wish fast recovery to your father! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infections of the penis foreskin 25 minutes later
My father is currently taking Bactrim XXXXXXX once daily to ward off urinary tract infections as perscribed by his urologist. I believe it to be working as he shows no other signs of a urinary tract infection, i.e., fever, trouble urinating. Could his near daily use of Lasix be the cause of this foreskin infection and is Bactrim a good antibiotic for such infections.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bactrim-good antibiotic for foreskin infections... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Bactrim is a good antibiotic for such infections too. Your father is urinating continuously due to Lasix while having UTI. In UTI, the urine has a different pH (usually low), which can further irritate the foreskin. He should be drinking more water to dilute urine and to change the pH. Zinc and magnesium citrate salts can help improve the pH of urine, leading to less irritation. Fungal infection is another concern due to overpopulation of fungus after antibiotic treatment that could be treated with antimycotic. All the best! Dr.Alba