Suggest treatment for infection of terminal Phalanx of the finger

Jul 2016

I have Raynauds Recently with the cold temperatures the skin on the end of one finger has become swollen and quite painful. the tip of my finger is the most sensitive. the entire finger tip up to the first knuckle is very red as well. I've been taking an antibiotic for the last three days. I've also been soaking it in Epsom salts ant trying to express pus from around my nail but get very little. My finger has been inflamed and sore for over a month. Is there anything more I should be doing for it?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You have what is called as Whitlow. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Whitlow. It is infection of the terminal Phalanx of the finger due to Herpes simplex 2 virus, Since terminal phalanx is a closed space antibiotic can not penetrate the the blood vessels making it difficult to get it cured early. Consult qualified General surgeon for clinical examination .You may need it to get it drained under local anaesthesia followed by a regular dressing with topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Please take anti viral drugs like Acyclovir twice daily along with broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefexine along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily. It will get cured within two weeks. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.