Suggest treatment for infection caused after a hernia surgery

General Surgeon
My son had hernia surgery a while ago and has an infection in the where the surgery was done .He has no family doctor to go to I know he needs to see one can you help him out?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Can you please send a photo of the wound? It will be much easier to help you. I need you also to answer few questions first: - when was the surgery done? - does he have any pain when touching the wound? - is the wound area hard and warm? - any discharge from the wound, and if yes, is it clear, bloody or pus-like - does he have any scrotum swelling, testis pain? - is there any fever Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for infection caused after a hernia surgery 12 minutes later
Surgery was done first one was 18 yrs ago 2nd was 14 years ago Yes there is pain when touched yes it is hard and warm discharge is bloody and pus like Yes there is some swelling sometimes
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Generally so many years after a surgery an infection is very rare. And if it appears, usually is caused by stitches and/or mesh which was left there. The symptoms indicate that the infection might be serious (hard to tell not seeing it). And if it is a mesh reaction, another surgery will be necessary. The other thing is that infected area is close to the tests. This makes any infection in this area able to affect testis. And if left untreated can lead to testis necrosis. Please ask your son to visit a surgeon and do not wait any longer. Regards.