Suggest treatment for incontinence of bowel movement

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hello. I am asking this here as I am too embarrassed to talk to a doctor at the walk in clinic about it. As stated in my medical history I suffer from sever chronic constipation. In connection with this I have been oozing foul smelling, watery stool when I am unable to move my bowels for more than four days. Its not huge amounts but enough to soak through my underwear. Also, I recently started to not be able to control my bowels long enough to make it to the bathroom once I am able to have a movement. What I mean is I get very little warning before my bowels start evacuating and once it started I can't hold it back. I have accidentally soiled myself multiple times in public. I have started to wear incontinence pads + diapers at all times. My question is what can I do about the smell? I do change and clean myself frequently but specially when I am oozing I find (and have been told by others) that despite that there is a very bad odor. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Incontinence is of concern- consult specialist Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Your main problem is that of incontinence of bowel. First this problem has to be treated before treating the constipation. The bowel is under the control of nervous system partly involuntary and partly voluntary. The voluntary control is lost or has been weakened in your case. Incontinence occurs when there is damage to the nerves supplying the bowel due to any reason. Consult your gastroenterologist at the earliest. You may also have to consult a neurologist. Meanwhile you will have to use incontinence pads. Treatment can only be started when diagnosis is made. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for incontinence of bowel movement 17 hours later
Thank you very much for your answer. I am currently awaiting a gastro-enterologist appointment to investigate the cause of my chronic constipation. To follow up on your advice I will also seek help for my incontinence. But this appointment is still two months away. Is there anything I can do about the smell in the meantime? Pads and diapers prevent me from soiling my clothes but the odor, specially when I am oozing, is still very bad. Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Will have to manage the bad odor Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Incontinence is causing the soiling and the bad odor. It will be difficult to control the bad odor till the incontinence is controlled. The only way out is to use body fragnances to suppress the bad odor. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal