Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism

Please help me with the following test results: TSH=6.72 T3=121 T4=9.3 My weight is 85kg, height is 5feet 7inches and age is 42yrs. Presently taking german homeopathic medicine thyrodium 200. Need to know the following: 1)Whether the symptoms are related to HYPO/HYPER thyroid 2)What medicines are recommended along with frequency/time and how long am i suppose to take 3)Pros/Cons of the test reports 4)Frequency of the tests 5)Donot have any other problem except this as per recent executive health checkup reports analyzed by apollo
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer: answers point wise. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX 1. your reports are suggestive of primary hypothyroidism. 2. you should start thyroxine replacement with 75 mcg once a day, empty stomach, early morning, and observe another 30 minutes fast after the tablet. 3. the test report tells us your thyroid function status, no cons to it 4. test initially 6 weeks, then every 3 months, in case of dose change again 6 weeks interval. 5. no more abnormal report so no more query. 6. points from my side, if you are a vegetarian, start some B12 supplementation, calcium supplementation. and also vitamin D. 7. you are overweight. 85 kg for 5'7'' is more. try losing some weight and do not put on more weight. 8 make exercise your daily habit. regards!
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism 11 minutes later
Thanks very much for the reply, help with the follow-up questions: 1)As already taking homeopathic german medicine thryodium 200 so need to know whether continue the same or continue 75 mcg [what are the side effects as homeopathic does not have any] 2)In long run can i get rid of these medicines or do i need to take it life-long? 3)As being vegetarian [weekly once/twice eats omlet is it ok] 4)Suggest vegetarian food/fruit items that has B12 supplementation, calcium supplementation. and also vitamin D. 5)My parents are not having thyroid problems as my mother is diabetic so is there any relation 6)I normally drink 200ml milk night time only and have 4 times meal per day[breakfast morning/evening and lunch/dinner] so do i need to cut it short to loose weight or need suggestions with details pl.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: again point wise. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX hi! 1. as your reports are while already on thyroidium, that means you need thyroxine. now whether to continue thyroidium or discontinue it, i don't know because i am not a homeopath doctor. but for sure in your case it is not working 100%. 2. side effects of thyroxine in the right dose are none as it is a hormone replacement which your body does not have. and you need it. 3. in the long run you may get rid of it , true. depending upon your reports and your antibody levels. 4. it is better rather if you are on egg diet in moderation. 5. none in exact amount you require. so though you may take lot of bananas, apples, oranges, milk and milk products, and sunlight still you will require supplements. 6. yes there is. mom being diabetic, means you have a family history of auto immune diseases. you are likely to develop diabetes as well. get your parents specially mom for thyroid disorder. 7. your diet needs to be modified in terms of calories. 4 -6 meals a day is good but then total calories should not exceed 2200/d if you are moderately active. 8. add daily exercise to your plan.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism 13 minutes later
Thanks very much for the answers, need clarification on few again: 1)2200/d caloric plan-please advice with examples 2)Ideally how much weight should be in my case being 5 fee 7 inches height and 85kgs currently 3)Is brisk walking for 30mins works daily to reduce weight. 4)As advised 75 mcg for replacement so is there any brand or company so that i can purchase 5)Suppose after 6weeks of test reports comes out to be TSH level down then course of action on the medicine potency or shall it be 50mcg then again after 6 weeks 25 cg ans gradually stop [correct me in case of wrong understanding with example pl]
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: thyrox / eltroxin/ thyronorm Detailed Answer: dear XXXXXXX 1. diet charts will be available either with dietician or online. or you can calculate the calories of whatever is your diet, calorie charts are also available on internet. 2. ideal weight for you is 65 - 70 kg 3. brisk walking 30 minutes should cover 5 km to lose weight. 4. brands are many in the market but good ones are eltroxin, thyronorm, thyrox 5. you have applied mathematics well, but it is medicine not maths. so if your reports are normal, we continue same treatment, as we are not curing, we are replacing. only if TSH is getting suppressed and T4 is going above range, we reduce the dose. then your mathematics apply.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism 10 minutes later
Is my understanding on HYPOTHYROIDISM[in my case] is correct having following symptoms: 1)Endocrine dysfunction 2)Growth disturbances 3)Obesity due to pituitary dysfunction respectively underweight 4)Goitre 5)Grave's diseases/Addison's disease 6)Myxoedema Or these symptoms are for HYPERTHYROID?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: mixing too many things. Detailed Answer: dear XXXX, now you are mixing too many things and they are not relevant to your problem. ANSWERING ALL OF THEM IS LIKE WRITING WHOLE OF ENDOCRINOLOGY. this is beyond the scope of this query. i assure you we will help you as you require. you are hypothyroid and you may start the treatment. Regards!