Suggest treatment for hyperthyroidism

what would you recommend as a treatment for someone who has a slightly hyper thyroid caused by a nodule?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal -9 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more details Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query I would like to know the exact levels of your thyroid profile. That would let me know the exact status of your condition. There are few medicines for hyperthyroidism. The most specific of these is carbimazole. But the dosage of this medicine is decided by looking at the levels of the thyroid hormone reports. So I would like to know that. Besides I need to know your clinical features. What did you face, what problems did you have when you sought medical care and the tests. If you are already on some treatment, I would suggest you get a repeat test done. A new test is needed every 6 weeks till the levels stabilize. I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query with the details asked so that I can help you further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hyperthyroidism 3 hours later
The thyroid levels are slightly hyper.. no medication currently... would you recommend staying on medication or surgery? I was recommended tapazole as medication
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tapazole is in the same group as carbimazole Detailed Answer: Thanks for your response. Tapazole is a medicine in the same group as carbimazole which I had suggested. And that is the prerogative of your treating doctor. The dose will have to be decided as per your symptoms, and the actual levels of the thyroid test. Looking forward to your return query if I can help you further. Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal