Suggest treatment for hypertension

Resting heart rate of 126 blood pressure 155/88. Going through marriage issues/divorce, been this way for a week. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anxiety induced Hypertension Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking XXXX! I am Dr S Khan and i would like to answer your query for recent changes in cardiac profile with tachycardia and hypertension. Mr XXXX with past history unremarkable and episodes of just a week , this hypertension looks like Anxiety Induced Hypertension which is usually accompanied by increased heart rate( tachycardia) and increased ventilation rate (Hyperventilation). and needs a psychiatric rehabilitation first and see if that helps. According to JNC guidelines you are currently stage 1 systolic hypertensive if these has been the readings on minimum two different occasions. As you have a lot on your plate these days and that much stress can be a stimulus for this issue.So i suggest that you go to a psychiatrist for assistance and let him help you. I am sure this issue will resolve and medicines use might not be necessary. Rest it is up to them, If the psychiatrists considered it right to involve cardiologists for your management it will be their decision. Mean while i recommend following dietary and lifestyle modifications to be on the safer road and continue practicing those. Weight loss (range of approximate systolic BP reduction [SBP], 5-20 mm Hg per 10 kg) Limit alcohol intake to no more than 1 oz (30 mL) of ethanol per day for men or 0.5 oz (15 mL) of ethanol per day for women and people of lighter weight (range of approximate SBP reduction, 2-4 mm Hg) Reduce sodium intake to no more than 100 mmol/day (2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride; range of approximate SBP reduction, 2-8 mm Hg)[7] Maintain adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/day) Maintain adequate intake of dietary calcium and magnesium for general health Stop smoking and reduce intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol for overall cardiovascular health Engage in aerobic exercise at least 30 minutes daily for most days (range of approximate SBP reduction, 4-9 mm Hg) Increase the consumption of fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products. I hope Mr XXXX i was of some help.Take care and close the discussion please.I will be here if you need me. Regards S Khan