Suggest treatment for hypermetropia with astigmatism

Hello sir, I have 5 .8 year old daughter and she has been diagnosed as below power... Right Eye : Spherical (+2.5) + cylindrical (-3.5) +axis 180 degree Left Eye : : Spherical (+2.5) + cylindrical (-3.5) +axis 160 degree. I want to know what should I do that she regains power and over what period she may regain it. Thanks, XXXXXXX @ Bangalore
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She is having hypermetropia with astigmatism. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I reviewed the history, your daughter is having refractive error, hypermetropia with astigmatism. Refractive errors are common problems seen in children and they are because of disproportionate growth of the eye ball. She needs to wear spectacles, I hope she has been prescribed with spectacles. Coming to your questions, it is unlikely that she may regain her complete power back as the refractive error is bit high. The refractive error in this age increases rapidly and final refractive error will be reached by 20-21 years. Hence her refractive error may increase or decrease, but final stabilization will occur by 21 years. Since her astigmatism is relatively more I advice her to undergo corneal topography or orbscan to look for corneal conditions like keratoconus which will cause high astigmatism. I hope you have already consulted ophthalmologist, if not do consult ophthalmologist and take his opinion. I would like to give few important tips she need to follow to keep the refractive error constant and prevent it from further increasing. She needs to wear spectacles all the time as not wearing may lead to increase in refractive error. She needs to take health nutritious diet with lot of vitamin A like green leafy vegetables, carrot.... She needs to attend regular follow up with optometrist or ophthalmologist to look for variations in the refractive error and correction accordingly. The next management depends on the final refractive error left after 20-21 years, if the refractive error is persisting after 21 years she can undergo refractive laser surgeries. Hope I have answered your questions and the information is helpful to you. Thank you