Suggest treatment for hiccups

My 20 y/o son had wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. Was sent home on vicodin q6h, which he's been taking and alternating with 800 mg Motrin. He's been having hiccups almost all day today. I'm an RN. I don't have any Reglan, but I do have some Atarax 25 mg. Could the Atarax possibly help him get rid of his hiccups? I'm guessing the Vicodin's causing it, or maybe residual from yesterday's conscious sedation, although I'm thinking that should be cleared out by now. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can try vinegar Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query. I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today. Hiccups are not a usual complication of vicodin, it may be due to sedation or other any other cause. Atarax is not very helpful in hiccups, but you can try if no other medication available. You can also try vinegar- a teaspoon or granulated sugar- a teaspoon. Hope this helps and provides answers to your question. I wish you good health. Dr. Alok