Suggest treatment for heel pain

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am 41 year old male and have undergone ACL surgery in 2008 for my left knee . Recovered post physio sessions . I avoid running completely due to knock knee's and only go for brisk walks or walks . Since a month my left heel pains a lot . Visited a loca ortho and GP , who recommended ACENAC SR initially and NAPROXEN later . Both have not helped , may I request you to kindly help suggest medicine to ease the pain . Actually the pain is not due to shoe wear as the pain is consistent with sports or formal shoes .
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems to be plantar fasciitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia. A short term rest and oral anti inflammatory drugs are required to take care of the inflammation. To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime. A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort. Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain. Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia. If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care