Suggest treatment for heavy bleeding

Sir, i have thyroid problem and also facing heavy bleeding for last 1 month. i am taking thyronorm 100mcg and fourts B mega. please tell me how i could stop heavy bleedging as i am feeling animic
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Check TSH level, Needs evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I went through your query and understood your concerns. Hypothyroidism is known to cause an endometrial hyperplasia and menorrhagia.It is good that you got D&C done already. First i would like check your TSH level, to know weather thyronorm dose is appropriate. If there is fluctuation in the thyroid hormonal levels, adjustment of the dose is needed. Wait for your D&C report. If your thyroid problem is under control then i like to get investigations for heavy bleeding.. The heavy bleeding that you are having can be due to hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests. Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, and androgen profile can be done. The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia. You need to consult a gynecologist who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy if the heavy bleeding is persistent. Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for heavy bleeding 39 minutes later
my TSH level is Greater than 100. i am taking the thyronorm from last 6 days only. Can only taking these tablets for 15 days stop bleeding because my family dr. tell me that it is thyroid causing the irregular and heavy periods. i am facing this problem from last 3 yrs.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need to continue thyronorm life long. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, thanks for follow up query. Normal values of TSH can range from 0.4 - 4.0 mIU/L (milli-international units per liter) I usually prescribe 100mcg for my patients. and repeate TSH level after a month, if its still high need to increase dose. No, you need to continue thyronorm medication life long. Because its a replacement of thyroid hormone to body. D&C is helpful to stop your present heavy bleeding. Yes, correction of thyroid hormonal imbalance controls your menustral flow. As hypothyroidism is probable cause for your heavy bleed. If you are being treated for a thyroid disorder, your TSH level should be between 0.5 and 2.0 mIU/L. If your symptom doesn't resolve even after correction, then need to evaluated for other hormonal disturbances as I have mentioned in previous answer. Hope this information helpful to you. Feel free to ask further related query. If satisfied with my answer close query and rate it. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for heavy bleeding 59 minutes later
i just want to ask last thing my gynecologist prescribed pause mf tablets to stop heavy period whenever i got heavy bleeding in last 2 yrs. should i take that tablets right now to stop the bleeding? Could it be helpful ? be
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pause mg is helpful in controlling heavy bleed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up query. Pause mg contains tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid. I do prescribe this medication for my patients with heavy bleeding. It is helpful to reduce ongoing heavy bleeding. Hope this helps you. Feel free to ask further related query. if satisfied close query and rate it. Regards