Suggest treatment for hand swelling caused by an injury

I smashed my hand in between a door and shelf. It swoll up and was very painful. Immediately placed ice on it, and took motrin. It feels much better but when I use it it starts to cramp. There is also a spot on the top part that when you touch it it hurts and feel like a injured nerve. It has been x-ray'd and was negative for fractures
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. Injuries like these can result in a significant amount of inflammation and local blood accumulation, which can cause significant pain and tenderness as well as pair meant in functioning (hand cramps). It is good that you used ice and also had an x-ray. If your hand starts to change color, starts to swell more/swelling does not go down, if you lose any function of your fingers or sense of touch, please go to the doctor or emergency room for immediate examination. Otherwise, the injury will likely heal over the next few weeks. You can continue to ice the area for the next 2 to 3 days after the injury. Again, thank you for submitting your question and I hope you feel better soon. Take care, Dr. G