Suggest treatment for hand swelling caused by an injury
User rating for this question
I smashed my hand in between a door and shelf. It swoll up and was very painful. Immediately placed ice on it, and took motrin. It feels much better but when I use it it starts to cramp. There is also a spot on the top part that when you touch it it hurts and feel like a injured nerve. It has been x-ray'd and was negative for fractures
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. Injuries like these can result in a significant amount of inflammation and local blood accumulation, which can cause significant pain and tenderness as well as pair meant in functioning (hand cramps). It is good that you used ice and also had an x-ray. If your hand starts to change color, starts to swell more/swelling does not go down, if you lose any function of your fingers or sense of touch, please go to the doctor or emergency room for immediate examination. Otherwise, the injury will likely heal over the next few weeks. You can continue to ice the area for the next 2 to 3 days after the injury. Again, thank you for submitting your question and I hope you feel better soon. Take care, Dr. G
People also viewed
- How can radicular symptoms be treated
- Is muscle pains or stiffness a side effect of fexofenadine?
- Chest pain with an expectorant cough with whitish sputum
- Is pain in the arms and legs a side effect of pitavastatin?
- Suggest treatment for pain due to hand injury
- Suggest treatment for infected crush injury of hand
- Is muscle pain or cramps a side effect of arsenic trioxide?
- Is joint stiffness or swelling a side effect of edarbyclor?
- Suggest treatment for finger swelling due to an injury
- Is my tsh level ok to conceive
- Suggest treatment for swelling on little finger after an injury
- Is it ok to give ampoxin 500 for cold
- Suggest treatment for hand swelling caused by an injury
- Is muscle pain or tenderness a side effect of triamcinolone?
- Late cycle i was wondering could it be pregnancy