Suggest treatment for hallucinations

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Yes, my sister has been for a number of years been......exaggerating stories that I know didn't happen but about 2 years ago she went to a whole new level and accused my father of sexual abuse. I and my 2 other sisters were not subject to this and we feel she needs help. She has suffered from depression and has taken medication. She has also received counseling but not from a doctor/psychiatrist. Could this be a disorder and what can be done? Any thoughts would be welcome Thank you XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hallucinations, present, could be schizopherenia Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. The symptoms that you have mentioned are that of hallucinations. Hallucinations occur when a person perceives such events which have bot occurred. Hallucinations are a feature of schizophrenia. However, it is not possible to diagnose schizophrenia on the basis of few clinical features. You need to consult a psychiatrist for complete clinical evaluation, investigations and thus management. Besides counselling, medication may also be required. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hallucinations 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply however I feel that it is not schizophrenia there are no hallucinations rather a tendency embellish or outright lie. The lies were minor about 7yrs ago however they started to become more extreme over the years. Now it might be a personality disorder that is causing her to seek out sympathy for something and I firmly believe she actually believes the stories she is creating. Does this disorder exist and what would cause it. Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be a personality disorder Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Yes, there are personality disorders with similar symptoms. The personality disorders with the mentioned symptoms are borderline or histronic personality disorders. In both the disorders the affected person has the tendency to gain sympathy, and to attract every ones attention towards oneself. If one fails to attract others attention, they will commit such activities which divert attention towards them. However, a complete clinical assessment by an psychiatrist is required to diagnose the condition. No definite diagnosis can be made without clinical assessment. Consult a psychiatrist as early as possible. As I mentioned before the treatment may require medication, counselling, behavioural therapy or all of them. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal