Suggest treatment for half sided headache inspite of my Cervical Spondylosis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor, I had been diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis an year and half before. I had gone through physiotherapy for a week and I felt better that time but I use to get neck pain very frequently (I work in front of the computer 9-10 hours a day).From last 4-5 months I started getting half sided headache throughout the day and sometimes ,aura (seeing zigzag patterns ,goes away after 30 mins , without headache) . My neurologist prescribed me to take following tablets 1.Topirol 25 - 2 tablets at bed time 2.Betacap TR 40 - One tablet morning time Recently,one of my Aura incident got little extreme and I was not able to recongize people/not able understand what they are speaking , it seems . As per the Doctor suggestion went for following tests.. 1.MRI of BRAIN (plain and Contrast) - No abnormalities seen 2.Screening of C-spine - Findings as below: Focal fatty marrow change noted in the body of C2 vertebra. Mild disc dehydration is noted at all levels. C3-4, C4-5 & C5-6: Small posterocentral disc bulges indenting the thecal sac. No extension into neural foramina. No obvious nerve root compression. Is my migraine/headache related to my neck problem? If yes, is there any Cure? Guide me on my next action to be taken..consult Orthopedic surgeon? Should I still continue with the migraine tablets? Migraine tablets gives me side effects like slight depression at times(lack of interest in the work) and nightmares(getting strange dreams at night) . On the days when I get neck pain I get only 3-4 hours of sleep at night and will get up with headache.I also noticed that when I get Migraine Aura , I suffer from neck pain. Please help in suggesting a permanent solution preferably. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer: migraine is not related to neck problem. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The migraine headaches that you are having are not likely to be related to the cervical spondylosis. Rather it can aggravate the neck pain. The degenerative changes in your spine are not very pronounced and there is no nerve root compression seen. These are not likely to cause the aura or the headaches. You need to consult a neurologist for a detailed examination and EEG to detect the cause of headaches and aura so that proper treatment can be prescribed. These problems do not have a permanent treatment. The treatment is given for symptomatic relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL