Suggest treatment for hair loss

I have got the hair loss problem. I guess it may be genetic as my father also had hair loss problem. I am at an early stage right now. So I want to control it. I know there may be many medicines and liquids which can be applied on the hair to increase the hair growth but I don't know how reliable they are. I want to know If there is any natural way to stop the hair loss problem and increase the hair , which may include eating anything in particular or something else.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Male pattern hair loss, treatment after assessment Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. From the description that you have provided, it looks like you are having male pattern baldness, also called androgenetic alopecia. Now this type of hair loss tends to run in families and thus has a strong genetic basis. I would like to assess the degree of hair fall that you already have, so that I can guide you regarding the further prognosis and the available treatment options. Please click some close up pictures of the scalp showing the degree of hair loss. You can upload the pictures here on this page. You can also mail them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also please tell if you are presently taking any treatment . I am sure I will be able to help you more once I have a look at the degree of hair fall. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair loss 45 hours later
Hi I have uploaded some images in the "Upload Reports" Section here on the page. Please let me know in case the images are not sufficient. Also currently I am not taking any kind of treatment. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Male pattern hair loss, early stage, treatment req Detailed Answer: Hi again I have seen the pictures. You surely are at an early stage of male pattern hair loss. Now since this condition is genetic in your case, so I would like to tell you that only diet modification will not help you much. Since the condition tends to be hormone related with a genetic factor, so only things like change in food or lifestyle will not help. You should instead start treatment right away in order to control the further progression of the hair loss. Diet modification like inclusion of milk and milk products, eggs, carrots, nuts and fruits like strawberry does help but it would not stop the further progression. You should start atleast topical therapy with application of minoxidil 5 percent lotion over the affected areas twice a day. In addition, you should take oral biotin tablets once a day. You should also understand that once you stop with this treatment, it will take atleast two to three months of regular treatment to show its effect. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for hair loss 7 hours later
Hi Couple of more questions (may be basic, i am not sure) 1. Minoxidil 5% solution and oral biotin tablets - will these stop the hair loss or is it just a temporary solution?? 2. For how long should I use them?? 3. What constitutes the regular treatment you mentioned? 4. Can you please make me understand this in a way that what medicine will do what and for how long I have to take that( rough estimates will do). Also please tell me if you think I should go and show the scalp face to face to a doctor. I know I am asking too many questions , but I am little bit skeptical about the risks and side effects of these medicines. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hair loss medicines and their effects Detailed Answer: Hi again The treatment that I have told you is basically to stop the further progression of the hair loss. It will surely stop its further progress but it is difficult to say what degree of regrowth of the lost hair will we achieve. This means that although we do expect some degree of hair growth of the hair which are already lost but we cannot predict the results forehand. It takes atleast two to three months of this treatment to stop the further progression of hair loss. By regular, I mean the treatment that I have told you. Minoxidil basically acts at the hormone receptor level over the hair follicle and causes stimulation of hair growth. Biotin on the other hand is a hair growth supplement. Also as far as going and seeing a dermatologist in personal is concerned, it is always better and recommended that you should go and see a doctor in personal. This online facility is basically for taking viewpoints but as far as regular treatment and follow up is concerned, a one to one consultation is the best. But till the the you can see a doctor in personal, you can start the treatment as advised. Hope that answers your query Dr Geetika Paul