Suggest treatment for hair fall and pimples

Jan 2014

I am suffering with hair fall and hair thickness problem from last 2 years, and pimples are appearing on my face. I sleep late night 1-2 pm. Please let me know what should i do.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antiacne medications+Anti hair loss Treatment Detailed Answer: Hi. I would keep a possibility of Acne with Seborrheic dermatitis(dandruff) and Androgenetic alopecia(hair thinning). Acne commonly involves face, trunk, chest and shoulders (all these areas are rich in sebaceous glands). All these areas may or may not be involved simultaneously. Specific treatment: --Oral Antibiotics: For inflammatory acne(papules and pustules) I usually advice my patients to start with one of the oral antibiotics like Azithromycin/ Doxycycline/ Minocycline. --Topical treatment: Is a valuable adjunct to any form of acne treatment. Mainly two classes of drugs are used topically 1)Topical Antibacterials: Dermatologists around the world prescribe topical gels/creams containing topical antibiotics like either clindamycin 1%/ benzoyl peroxide 2.5% OR Nadifloxacin during the day time. 2)Topical Retinoids: Either Adapalene 0.1%/ Tretinoin 0.025% OR Azaleic acid (10%/20%) at bed time. General measures: --Use a mild cleanser like cetaphil twice daily --Avoid all the regular use creams, moisturizers, sunscreens that you may be using for the time being till you are on anti-acne treatment. --Avoid taking facials. --Avoid picking your acne. Since Acne and seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff are usually associated it is advisable to use an Anti-dandruff shampoo since acne is worsened by dandruff and also since Seborrheic dermatitis is probably the cause of increased hair fall in your case in addition to androgenetic hair loss. Coming to your second concern of hair thinning...Thinning and receding hair line in males is classical of Male pattern Androgenetic Alopecia (MAGA) also simply known as Androgenetic alopecia. Scalp hairs are genetically programmed for progressive thinning under the influence of hormones (Testosterone). Hair loss has a pattern to it in these kinds of hair loss e.g Teens usually have some Temporal recession which is then followed by deepening of Temporal recession (the earliest stage of Male Hair Loss) leading further to early hair loss in the crown (vertex) and later to further frontal hair loss and enlargement of vertex and so on... Treatment modalities include Topical Minoxodil 5% solution and oral finasteride(5 alpha reductase inhibitor). Their are well controlled trials and US FDA approval for them for this kind of hair loss in males. Saw-palmetto extract is also recommended for this kind of hair loss(it is also 5 alpha reductase inhibitor). I would advice that you consult a dermatologist and have a face to face discussion keeping all these points in mind. I am here to help you out with any further clarifications Hope this information helps you take care regards